The Utah Fits All Scholarship Program is a comprehensive education savings account (ESA) designed to support the educational needs of all K-12 students in the state.
It offers financial assistance to cover a wide range of educational expenses, including private school tuition, as well as approved goods and services related to education.
Eligibility for Utah Fits All Scholarship Funding & Application
Eligible education expenses include;
- Private school tuition,
- Tutoring services,
- Testing fees,
- Special needs services and therapies,
- Individual classes and activities,
- Educational materials and curriculum costs,
- Contracted services from a local education agency (public school),
- Other approved expenses for the ESA student’s education.
Families can allocate up to $750 per school year of ESA funds for transportation services for the ESA student.
Students enrolled in the Utah Fits All Scholarship Program receive $8,000 to cover their educational expenses.
ESA students attending a local education agency part-time may receive prorated awards based on their enrollment in public schools.
The program recaptures unused funds in the accounts at the end of each school year and redistributes them in the following year. Unused funds do not carry over.
The Utah legislature has allocated $42.5 million annually for the Utah Fits All Scholarship Program, with up to 5% earmarked for administrative costs.
If program funding is exceeded by enrollment, accounts will be awarded in the following order:
- Students who used an account in the previous school year,
- Students with a family income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level,
- Students with a sibling who currently uses an ESA or used one in the previous school year
- Students with a family income between 200% and 555% of the federal poverty level.
Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations:
- Income Limit: There is no income limit for eligibility.
- Prior year public school requirement: No requirement for prior enrollment in a public school.
- Geographic limit: The scholarship program is available statewide in Utah.
- Enrollment Cap: There is no cap on enrollment.
- Account Value: Each account is valued at $8,000 for the 2024-25 academic year.
- Testing Mandates: Parents have the option to request testing through the program manager.
- Budget Cap: The program has a budget cap of $42.5 million for the 2024-25 academic year.
- Qualified Expenses: Parents must use the funds only for qualified expenses as defined in Utah Code 53F-6-401.
- Annual Reapplication: Parents need to reapply for the program on an annual basis.
- Portfolio Submission: To maintain eligibility, parents must submit a portfolio that describes the student’s educational opportunities and achievements under the program.
- Selecting a Qualifying Provider: Parents must include a statement in the application indicating that the chosen provider for the student’s education is capable of delivering the required services.
- Financial Responsibility: Parents assume financial responsibility for the student’s education, including expenses beyond those covered by the ESA.