The MLK Scholarship aims to offer financial support to deserving local students who exemplify Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s principles of peace, racial harmony, community service, and improving the lives of others through their words and actions.
The Coral Springs’ Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee will oversee the scholarship administration.
It’s important to note that the scholarship funds specifically pertain to the 2023-2024 academic year and will be directed to the educational institution you plan to attend.
MLK Scholarship Eligibility & Selection Criteria
Applicants must demonstrate a financial need for the scholarship funds.
This will be considered along with other requirements and the overall application.
Awards will not take into account race, creed, color, sex, religion, or national origin.
Chances of receiving the scholarship are higher if the student is actively engaged in an act of humanity or community service that positively impacts one or more individuals.
This must be verified in writing by a teacher, guidance counselor, or clergy representative.
Applicants must have been a Coral Springs resident for at least one year.
High School Senior:
Eligible students must be current high school seniors enrolled in one of the following schools:
- Taravella High,
- Stoneman Douglas High,
- Coral Springs High,
- Coral Springs Charter,
- Coral Glades High.
Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.50.
Plan to attend an accredited college, university, or technical institute for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
MLK Scholarship Application Documents
Ensure that all required documents are submitted along with the application before the deadline. The application will not be accepted without them.
Students selected for an interview will need to provide proof of financial need.
Include a current transcript or report card with your application.
Include a copy of your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application.
Provide proof of acceptance to the college, university, or technical school you plan to attend.
Letters of Recommendation:
Obtain two letters of recommendation. Ask a teacher, guidance counselor, and/or clergy representative to submit letters on your behalf.
Income Tax Return:
Submit a copy of your family’s Income Tax Return.
How do I get a NYU MLK scholarship?
To secure an NYU MLK scholarship, the process is straightforward and entails the following:
- Automatic Consideration: Every student who submits an application to NYU is automatically considered for scholarships, including the prestigious MLK Scholars Program. There’s no need for applicants to take any additional steps.
- Financial Commitment: NYU is dedicated to meeting the demonstrated financial need of its incoming first-year students. This commitment is contingent upon the timely submission of the CSS Profile.
By simply applying to NYU and ensuring the timely submission of the CSS Profile, students open the door to potential MLK scholarship.
Aligning with NYU’s mission to support students in achieving their educational goals.
How to write the MLK scholarship essay?
To craft a compelling MLK scholarship essay, it’s crucial to cover several key points and weave them together seamlessly.
Here’s a detailed guide on how to approach this essay:
- Begin with an engaging introduction that grabs the reader’s attention.
- Mention your aspiration to become an MLK Scholar and the purpose of the essay.
- Personal Experience:
- Share a personal experience that ignited your passion for social justice.
- Describe the event, circumstances, or moment that served as a catalyst for your interest in this field.
- Use transition words like “Firstly” or “Initially” to start this section.
- Identified Issue:
- Clearly outline the specific social justice issue you are deeply passionate about.
- Explain why this issue is significant to you and the community or society at large.
- Utilize transition phrases such as “Furthermore” or “In addition” to transition smoothly to the next point.
- Future Goals:
- Discuss your long-term goals and aspirations.
- Explain how addressing the identified social justice issue is integral to your future plans.
- Employ transitional language like “Moreover” or “Consequently” to link this section to the next.
More On How to write the MLK scholarship essay
- Alignment with MLK Scholars Program:
- Highlight how becoming an MLK Scholar will help you achieve your goals.
- Describe the unique qualities and opportunities the program offers that align with your aspirations.
- Employ transition words such as “In light of this” or “As a result” to connect this part with the final section.
- Program’s Mission:
- Emphasize how your goals resonate with the mission and values of the MLK Scholars Program.
- Showcase your commitment to promoting peace, racial harmony, community service, and the betterment of others.
- Conclude your essay with a strong closing statement.
- Proofreading and Editing:
- After completing your essay, proofread it carefully for grammar, spelling, and clarity.
- Make sure there is a logical flow between paragraphs and ideas.
- Use transition phrases as needed to enhance the overall coherence of your essay.