The HOPE Scholarship SC is a scholarship based on merit.
Designed to assist eligible students enrolled in a four-year institution within the state who do not meet the criteria for the LIFE or Palmetto Fellows Scholarship.
The General Assembly approved the introduction of the SC Education Lottery Act, which established this scholarship in 2001.
The scholarship exclusively awards students in their first year of attendance.
The availability of funds for the program relies on the yearly revenue generated by the SC Education Lottery.
HOPE Scholarship SC Eligibility
- Requirements for SC HOPE Scholarship eligibility:
- Graduation from high school with a 3.0 cumulative grade point ratio on the SC Uniform Grading Policy (UGP).
Students must report their GPA to two decimal places and calculate it after completing graduation requirements.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, eligible non-citizen, or legal permanent resident under state residency statutes.
- Must be a resident of South Carolina at the time of high school graduation and college enrollment.
- Must fall into one of the following categories:
- Graduate from a South Carolina high school.
- Successfully complete a high school home school program in SC as required by law.
- Graduate from a preparatory high school outside SC as a dependent of a SC resident parent/guardian.
The student must actively seek admission, enroll full-time, and classify themselves as a degree-seeking undergraduate student at an eligible SC institution.
- Must submit a signed affidavit affirming no felony convictions and no second or subsequent alcohol/drug-related misdemeanor offenses within the past 12 months.
- Must not be in default or owe a refund/repayment on any Federal or State financial aid.
- Must not be eligible for or a recipient of a LIFE Scholarship or Palmetto Fellows Scholarship.
- Eligible to receive the SC HOPE Scholarship if they met all eligibility requirements at the beginning of the academic year.
- Terms of eligibility:
- Students can receive the SC HOPE Scholarship for a maximum of two terms during their first year of attendance.
- The number of terms available is determined by the student’s initial college enrollment.
- In case of a student receiving HOPE Scholarship in Spring and qualifying for the LIFE Scholarship by the end of Summer, they won’t be eligible for HOPE in the subsequent Fall semester
Award Information For HOPE Scholarship SC:
- Eligible students at a four-year public or private institution in South Carolina receive up to $2,800 during their first year of attendance only.
- The amount includes a $300 book allowance.
- No application is needed for the SC HOPE Scholarship.
- The eligible institution will inform students if they qualify for the scholarship.
It assists eligible students attending a four-year institution in South Carolina who don’t qualify for the LIFE or Palmetto Fellows Scholarship.
The scholarship is exclusively awarded during the first year of attendance.
The SCholarship’s availability depends on the funds generated by the SC Education Lottery.
To be eligible, students must meet specific requirements, including a 3.0 GPA, residency criteria, and enrollment in an eligible SC institution.
Transfer students can receive the scholarship if they meet eligibility requirements at the beginning of the academic year.
The maximum eligibility period is two terms during the first year.
The scholarship provides up to $2,800, including a $300 book allowance, and students are notified by their institution without needing to submit an application.