Are you a Florida high school senior dreaming of a college degree without worrying about expensive tuition fees? The Florida Medallion Scholarship (FMS) could be your ticket to an affordable and enriching academic journey.
It’s a merit-based scholarship, part of the well-known Bright Futures program, providing significant financial aid to deserving students aiming for their first bachelor’s degree within the state.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity for a brighter future!
The Florida Medallion Scholarship goes beyond mere financial aid; it’s an investment in your future.
It recognizes your potential, rewards your dedication, and empowers you to pursue your academic dreams without unnecessary financial burdens.
This scholarship opens doors to diverse universities, enriching experiences, and a vibrant community of fellow recipients.
Features of the Florida Medallion Scholarship
The Florida Medallion Scholarship (FMS) offers notable features that make it stand out:
1. Covers 75% of Tuition and Applicable Fees: FMS provides substantial relief by covering a significant portion of tuition and essential university fees, easing your financial burden.
2. Renewable for Up to Five Years: Stay consistent! Maintain good academic standing and meet renewal requirements to enjoy FMS support throughout your five-year undergraduate journey.
3. Applicable to Diverse Universities: Pursue your dream program! FMS is valid at all eligible Florida public universities, state colleges, and community colleges, providing a wide range of academic options.
4. Focuses on Academic Achievement and Community Engagement: FMS rewards well-rounded individuals. A high GPA and a commitment to service hours or paid work showcase your dedication and potential.
1. Florida Residency: Be a legal resident of Florida and graduate from a Florida high school with a standard diploma.
2. Academic Excellence: Demonstrate strong academic performance with a minimum weighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (specific requirement varies by graduation year).
3. Standardized Test Scores: Achieve the required score on either the ACT (1210) or SAT (1170).
4. College Preparatory Coursework: Complete the 16 core college-preparatory courses mandated by the Florida Bright Futures program.
5. Community Service or Work Experience: Contribute to your community with at least 75 hours of volunteer service or 100 hours of paid work.
6. Timely Application: Submit your application by August 31st following your high school graduation year.
Ready to apply for the FMS? Follow these steps
1. Complete the Florida Financial Aid Application (FFAA): Submit the FFAA by August 31st after graduation, serving as your application for various state and federal student aid programs, including the FMS.
2. Submit Additional Documents: Provide additional documents like proof of residency, academic transcripts, and standardized test score reports based on your circumstances.
3. Meet Deadlines: Stick to the August 31st deadline for high school graduates and the January 31st deadline for mid-year graduates. Late applications will not be considered.
4. Track Your Application: Monitor your application status online through the MyFloridaStudentFinancialAid.org portal. Take that first step towards unlocking the FMS!
The Florida Medallion Scholarship (FMS) has made significant strides in supporting and empowering deserving Florida high school graduates. Let’s explore some key achievements:
Expanding Access to Higher Education:
Increased College Enrollment: Since its inception, the FMS has enabled numerous Florida students to attend college, boosting the state’s overall college enrollment and creating a more educated workforce.
Reduced Financial Burden: Covering a substantial portion of tuition and fees, the FMS relieves financial stress for recipients, allowing them to concentrate on their studies and attain academic goals.
Promotes Diversity: Prioritizing merit and community service, the FMS is accessible to students from diverse backgrounds, fostering inclusivity in Florida’s colleges.
Boosting Academic Success
Higher Graduation Rates: FMS recipients exhibit higher graduation rates than their non-FMS peers, likely attributed to the scholarship’s financial support and emphasis on academic achievement.
Improved Academic Performance: FMS recipients tend to perform better academically, reflecting the program’s focus on excellence and the requirement to maintain good academic standing.
Encourages Community Involvement: The FMS requirement for community service cultivates engaged citizens, instilling a sense of social responsibility and leadership skills.
Strong Return on Investment: FMS recipients show higher employment rates, earning more and contributing significantly to Florida’s economy, demonstrating a strong return on investment.
Positive State Impact: By supporting bright students, the FMS strengthens Florida’s workforce, contributing to the state’s economic and social well-being.
Inspiration for Other States: The FMS’s success has inspired other states to develop similar programs supporting high-achieving students.
Beyond the Numbers
The FMS achievements extend beyond statistics, touching the lives of countless students, and enabling them to pursue higher education, overcome challenges, and make meaningful contributions to society.
The FMS program evolves to meet the needs of recipients and the state. As the cost of higher education rises, the program’s role in making college affordable and accessible remains crucial for deserving students.