The James Beard Foundation sponsors the Flavor of the Month Scholarship, an annual program that grants $1,000 to students deeply enthusiastic about food and beverages.
This scholarship welcomes full-time enrollees in accredited culinary schools or programs.
Notably, the Flavor of the Month Scholarship, initiated in 2009, offers a remarkable opportunity for students to secure both cash rewards and prizes.
Participants can select a monthly flavor to focus on throughout the academic year.
Moreover, they have the privilege of submitting monthly recipes or flavor descriptions for a chance to secure victory.
Over the years, this scholarship program has distributed a staggering sum of over $100,000 in cash and prizes to talented students all across the nation.
Flavor of the Month Scholarship Eligibility:
- Age Requirement: Applicants must be 14 years of age or older when applying.
- Residency: Applicants must either be a legal U.S. resident or reside in one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
- Enrollment: Applicants must currently be enrolled in, or plan to enroll no later than the fall of 2024, in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher education.
- High School Status: To be eligible for the Flavor of the Month Scholarship, you must be a high school student.
- Social Media Presence: You are required to have an active Instagram account with a minimum of 500 followers.
- Start by completing the online application form.
- Craft an essay that explains why you deserve the scholarship.
- Ensure all necessary paperwork is collected and then email it to the Flavor of the Month Scholarship Committee.
To apply for the flavor of the month scholarship scholarship, follow these steps:
Compose a concise online response (250 words or less) addressing the following question:
“Summer and ice cream go hand-in-hand.
In fact, July is National Ice Cream Month, and that’s the inspiration behind this award.
We think people are very similar to ice cream; some are nutty, others a little exotic, while some are very comforting. If you were an ice cream flavor, which would you be and why?”
When is the best time to apply for scholarships?
- Scholarships typically open for applications in the fall, especially those intended for the upcoming college school year.
- Most major scholarship deadlines for this season are between October and December 31st.
What is the minimum age for scholarship eligibility?