The State of Ohio has initiated the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program with the aim of enhancing Ohio’s competitiveness in STEMM disciplines and STEMM education.
Additionally, these scholarships provide awarded scholars with expanded and unique mentorship and programming opportunities within their respective disciplines.
Choose Ohio First forms a crucial part of a strategic effort aimed at retaining Ohio residents and bolstering the state’s economic strength.
It does so by ensuring a readily available workforce for industries related to STEMM.
Choose Ohio First Scholarship Eligibility
- Incoming freshman eligibility is determined based on their academic program.
- Students vying for a renewable Choose Ohio First award will undergo a comparative review within their academic major. They must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and an Ohio resident.
- Must have declared an academic major aligned with the award program’s discipline(s).
- Must maintain a GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Must be enrolled full-time.
- Must submit a complete admission application by December 1. This includes the Common Application (including UC-specific sections), a high school-submitted transcript, official test scores sent directly from testing agencies, and at least one letter of recommendation.
- Students with a complete admission application will be considered for Choose Ohio First awards, alongside other UC freshmen scholarships, through a comprehensive review process.
- Academic Component to Maintain and Renew Scholarship:
- A COF scholar must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0, both overall and in their major.
- The university issues a warning if a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 for the first time.
- The scholarship may terminate if the student’s GPA drops below 3.0 for a second consecutive term.
- Advisor Meetings:
- The COF scholar is required to meet with their assigned university advisor to discuss progress and address any problems or concerns.
- Progress Reports:
- COF scholars must submit written progress reports through Pilot at the end of each enrolled term, adhering to the provided deadline.
How To Excel In The Choose Ohio First Scholarship Application
- Complete FAFSA Promptly:
- Provide Recent Transcripts:
- Include a transcript that reflects your most up-to-date grades, including any college credits earned, if applicable.
- If possible, ensure it’s an official transcript bearing your school’s logo or an authorized school authority’s signature.
- Excel in STEM Courses:
- If you’re a high school student applicant, consider enrolling in Advanced Placement (AP) STEM classes. Maintaining strong grades in advanced-level STEM courses can significantly enhance your application.
- Connect with Designated Contacts:
- Each participating institution designates a contact person for students seeking additional information.
- If you have questions or need assistance with the application process, visit the university’s website where you’re applying, locate the COF scholarship contact, and reach out to them for guidance.
Facts About The Choose Ohio First Scholarship
- Varied Deadlines and GPA Requirements:
- Application deadlines and GPA prerequisites may differ. To ensure accuracy, choose your preferred institution and obtain specific details regarding applying for a COF scholarship.
- New Enrollment Requirement:
- Eligible students must be newcomers to their chosen STEM programs. This includes individuals who switch majors to a STEM program.
- Work-Based Learning Obligation:
- COF scholars must fulfill work-based learning experiences during their program, which can include internships, research, or other relevant opportunities.
- Institutional Scholarship Decisions:
- Scholarship decisions are determined individually by each participating college and university.
- These institutions annually decide which scholarship applicants attending their institution will receive scholarships.
- Diverse STEM Programs Across Institutions: